Chapter Activities and Projects

Webmaster: The DAR National Activities content which appears on this page of your site is kept in a centralized location. It will appear on your page, but not in the editor. If you choose not to use this content, let the VIS Administrator (asstweb@californiadar.org) know and she can remove the centralized content. This content can only be changed by VIS.
Any content you add to this page should go below the highlighted paragraphs you are reading. The paragraphs you are reading will not appear in the actual web page. Do not use the Heading 6 style for your content.

Chapter Activities

 Fort Humboldt Project

This flag, the first one to fly over Fort Humboldt, has been preserved by Redwood Forest Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, for many years. It was given to the chapter by Mrs. John L. Masson of Rohnerville. This flag was owned by her sister, Mrs. Verna Berry of Taft.  Prior to the 1994 Fort Humboldt Days display, this flag had not been seen by the public since February 7, 1925. The occasion for that display was the dedication of the bronze historical marker placed at Fort Humboldt by the chapter to commemorate the time spent at Fort Humboldt by Captain U.S. Grant and to perpetuate the historical significance of Fort Humboldt. The marker is still in place and can be seen at the north end of the fort property, just behind the park office.

The man who first raised the first flag and staff over old Fort Humboldt was Sergeant Joseph Snedden. Sergeant Snedden arrived in Humboldt County, December 30, 1853, via the Isthmus of Panama, with the Fourth United States Infantry of which U.S. Grant was quartermaster. On January 1, 1854, Sergeant Snedden raised the flag and staff for the first time over the most westerly army post in the union. Sergeant Snedden remained in Humboldt and became a member of the Humboldt County Pioneers and Col. Whipple Post #49 of the Grand Army of the Republic. He died August 15, 1903, and is buried at Myrtle Ave. Cemetery located in Eureka, CA.

In 1990, Mrs. Lola Lawson became regent. She was a descendent of the pioneer Hull family from southern Humboldt County. Researching some of the chapter history, she discovered this flag had once been in the hands of the Redwood Forest Chapter. So, she set out on a quest to locate the American flag that had once flown over Ft. Humboldt and had been given to the chapter in 1925.  Further research led her to a newspaper article which stated the flag had been loaned to Miss Cecile Clarke in 1964 for the opening festivities of the Clarke Museum in the old bank building at Third and E Streets, Eureka. Inquiries were made of the staff at the Clarke Museum, and the flag was returned to the chapter with the paperwork that did indeed say that the flag had been loaned for the Grand opening.

The flag has thirty-six stars, measures approximately six feet by twelve feet, and is all handmade. In 1853 there were thirty-one states; apparently the flag was modified, probably between 1864 and 1867, to reflect the growing numbers of states. Upon inspection, its age and the ravages of time are evident. In 1997, with donations from the community, Redwood Forest Chapter completed the fundraising necessary for the preservation work to be done. The flag was taken to Petaluma where a conservator completed the work. While it will never be able to be on permanent display, the chapter intends to continue participation in selected community events where the flag will be available for viewing by the public on a limited basis.

 Visit Fort Humboldt's web page by clicking here: Fort Humboldt's web page

  

Azalea Park Project

On June 4, 1978, a small area outside of Eureka, California, sometimes called "Stagecoach Hill" was recognized by District III of the California Daughters of the American Revolution as a very special area. It was so recognized because of its unique and rare resident, a species of azalea that is known only to exist in this area. Because of the DAR objective to promote conservation, Redwood Forest joined forces with the American Rhododendron Society and the California Garden Club to secure this property that was privately owned and slated for development. With the cooperation of the California State Department of Parks and Recreation, we were able to place this land within the parks system.

Unfortunately, the park is situated in a remote area that is hard to find. One of the goals of the Society in saving the park was to set it aside so that people could enjoy it. This led the chapter to do something about marking the site. In May of 1998, the chapter decided to place a marker at Azalea Park; however, due to vandalism and a decrease in funds for maintenance, the Forest Service will no longer allow anyone to place markers where they would require regular maintenance. Since it was not possible for us to place a marker on the premises, we expanded our vision by placing a description and map of Azalea Park at the Stone Lagoon Visitors Center located nearby.

 

Veterans Day

Each Veterans Day, the City of Eureka holds a recognition ceremony at the Adorni Center.  The Redwood Forest Chapter provides refreshments for the participants and guests at the ceremony.

 

 

Carnegie Library Project 

The Carnegie Library was the first tax supported library in the State of California freely open to any citizen. The library was opened in Eureka, California.  The original library was located in rented upstairs rooms of the Jones Building in downtown Eureka. Later it moved to the Carnegie Building several blocks east of its original location. The library moved to its current location on the waterfront in 2007. Several years ago, the citizens of Eureka decided to restore this historic building and open it to the public. The Carnegie Library Building was renamed the Morris Graves Museum of Art.

Redwood Forest Chapter Daughters of the Revolution raised money to place a plaque in front of the museum located at 636 F Street in Eureka, California. The plaque was placed October 27, 2001.

United States Flag Donations

The Redwood Forest Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution donates special American flags to honored recipients. The flags are acquired from a current congressperson who authorizes these flags to fly over the United States Capital. These flags are then purchased.  Included with the presentation is a certificate of authenticity as well as a commemorative plaque. This flag was "proudly given in appreciation for the Veterans Center's outstanding work and service for the veterans in Humboldt County."

 

 

Honor Flight

Pictured above on the left is Kathrin Burleson, a member of the Redwood Forest chapter, and veteran Kurt Patzlaff with a portrait that Kathrin, an artist, has created for the veteran. On the right is Catherine Mace, a member of the Redwood Forest chapter, and her father, Col. Thomas Moore. Standing is veteran Victor Hugo. Photos were taken on an Honor Flight.

A member of the Redwood Forest Chapter was a co-founder of North Coast Honor Flight, and other chapter members have served as guardians for the Honor Flight. Guardians assist World War II veterans on the flight to Washington, DC, to visit the WW II Memorial. The trip is at no cost to the veteran. Guardians and other friends or family pay their own expenses for this moving visit.  A member of Redwood Forest Chapter is a local artist and has created a series of portraits of the WW II veterans who were on the two flights she took. In two years 170 veterans made the trip to Washington, DC, with Honor Flight. Redwood Forest Chapter raised funds to help offset the cost of a veteran's journey.

 

On-Going Activities

Stamps for the Wounded

Stamps for the Wounded is an activity that helps to decrease boredom, loneliness, frustration, futility, and despair from hospitalized service personnel by providing them with stamps that they use to mount, use to decorate cards, or cover decorative boxes in organized therapy sessions.  This activity can be given to bedridden patients, long-term patients and convalescent patients, and even the withdrawn and mentally disabled. Bedridden, wheelchair bound or ambulatory, these wounded service personnel can take pleasure in using common stamps to make items. SFTW is a totally volunteer organization responding to an appeal by the Armed Forces Hospital in 1942. 

Redwood Forest Chapter members collect stamps from everyday letters to send to this organization.